The Dome Model from The Portmeirion Village Collection
A miniature handcrafted sculpture of the Portmeirion building known as the Dome, from the Portmeirion Village Collection.
In 1958 Clough became convinced that his village was suffering from "dome defficiency" and immediately resolved to remedy it. As the Dome reached completion and the ball was finally fixed on top of its lantern, Clough could be seen high up a ladder (he was nearing eighty at the time!) laying gold leaf.
The facade of the dome, Norman Shaw's curious red-sandstone Renaissance-Gothic confection, was originally the upper half of the music room fireplace at Dawpool (1883) in Cheshire.